Importing your customer database into the app is not only for transferring from another loyalty program. You can import an entire customer database, along with points for their previous spend, or simply give all your best customers some gratitude points to get them started on your new program.
📝 Note: If you are in fact wanting to switch from another loyalty program, we have an easy-to-follow guide here.
In this article:
- How to export your customer database from BigCommerce
- How to format your CSV file
- How to import customers into your loyalty program
- Reward points for your customers' past purchases through BigCommerce
How to export your customer database from BigCommerce
- From your BigCommerce admin, click Analytics
2. Click Customers
3. Select your date range on the top right corner of your Customer page
4. Click on the Download button to prepare your CSV file. This will prompt a pop-up letting you know your CSV file is being prepared for download. Click on Got it! to continue.
5. Your notification icon (this is the bell icon in the top right corner) will prompt you when your file is ready for download. Click on this and then the download icon next to your file to begin the download.
How to format your CSV file
Save your spreadsheet as a .CSV file, with these column headings:
- Firstname (optional)
- Lastname (optional)
- Email (required)
- Points (optional)
Formatted like this:
Pay careful attention to the formatting of your spreadsheet's columns. The category names in your exported file will not necessarily match the formatting that is required when importing into the loyalty app database, so you will need to update these.
📝 Note: When you first install the Beautiful Loyalty Programs app, it will automatically sync your customer information from BigCommerce with 0 loyalty points.
Import customers with gratitude points
Gratitude points are a nice way to say thanks to your customers and give them a little kick-start when launching your program. You can simply add bulk points to all your customers loyalty accounts, or choose your top customers to give a blanket points amount to, e.g. 200 points.
Simply type the number of points in the Points column.
💡 Quick Tip: So you don't have to type the number on every row. Add it to the top row, then click on the box and drag down.
How to import customers into your loyalty program
1. In your Beautiful Loyalty Programs for BigCommerce admin, go to Members
2. Click Actions in the top right corner
3. From the Actions drop-down, click Import customers/points
4. In the Import customers/points pop-up, click Choose File and select your customer database CSV file
5. Click Start Import
Your customer database import will start.
📝 Note: This import may take 10-20 minutes, depending on the size of your database.
If you need a hand, please let us know at email@example.com or via the chat icon at the bottom right of your screen.
Reward points for your customers' past purchases through BigCommerce
If you are introducing a loyalty program into your store with an existing base of loyal customers, you can give them a head-start on their loyalty earning by rewarding them points for their past purchases.
1. In your customer spreadsheet, identify the Total Spent column
2. Change the column title from Total Spent to Points
3. Highlight the column and change the number of decimal places to 0. This will give you a whole number that will now represent the number of points a customer will have earned based on their past purchases
📝 Note: This step applies in cases where $1 spent = 1 loyalty point. If your members earn more than 1 point per $ spend, you will have to multiply this column accordingly e.g. if $1 spent = 2 loyalty points, double the values in your Points column.
Also, keep in mind that the customers' 'Total Spent' will include any relevant tax and shipping fees. If you don't want to include this in their point total, a good rule of thumb is to reduce the Total Spent by 15% before converting it into loyalty points.